Memorials

IN MEMORY OF CHARLES EDMUND GILMORE, ESQUIRE

C. P. Lycoming County, No. 147 September Term, 1962. In the matter of the death of Charles Edmund Gilmore, better known as C. Edmund Gilmore, a member of the Bar of Lycoming County, Pennsylvania.

REPORT OF COMMITTEE

To the Honorable, the Judges of Said Court:

CHARLES EDMUND GILMORE, ESQUIREYour committee, appointed by your Honorable Court, to pre pare suitable resolutions on the death of Charles Edmund Gilmore, Esquire, better known to the profession as “C. Edmund Gilmore,” a member of the bar of Lycoming County, respectfully reports, in manner following, to wit:

Charles Edmund Gilmore, Esquire, was born in the City of Williamsport, Lycoming County, Pennsylvania, on the 2nd of July, A.D., 1883, the son of Walter C. Gilmore, Esquire and Jennie (Rentz) Gilmore, as such was a scion of two of the most illustrious families in the field of education our county ever knew.

He was educated in the the public schools of the City of Williamsport,  and later attended and graduated from Lafayette College in the class of 1918, from which College his father had also graduated as the Valedictorian of his Class.

While in College, he was a member of the Delta Kappa Epsilon fraternity, an honor which he cherished till his death.

After his graduation, as was the custom of the day, he returned to his native city, and entered the law offices of his father. then among the hest, where he studied law, and after completing his studies he was admitted in 1911 to the Bar of Lycoming County and immediately entered into the practice of law with his father, an association that lasted till the death of his father in 1919, after which, he practiced by himself until 1961, when, on a account of ill health and advanced years, he retired and took up his residence in the old City Hotel, now known as the “Crestmont.”

Charles Edmund Gilmore was a Veteran of the First World War in that he was a Military Instructor at his Alma Mater. Later he was enrolled for officers training at the Officers Training school at Plattsburg, New York, where he was serving at the signing of the Armistice.

He was, thereof, a member of the American Legion, Garrett Cochran Post No. I and the 40—8.

He was a member of the Lycoming County Bar Association,having served as its President in 1940.

He was a Charter Member and one of the Founders of the Tiadaghton Chapter of the Sons of the American Revolution and served as its first Vice-President.

In polities, he was lifelong Democrat, and while he had served as President of the Democratic Club and been quite active in it activities and polities generally, he was never a candidate for office.  “Ed Gilmore”, as he was known to the profession, was a great student and omnivorous reader and was the possessor of a remarkable fund of knowledge, generally. He was most proficient in the law both substantive and procedural. He was fundamentally a Counselor and Solicitor, rather than a Barrister, and his judgment on legal and other matters was much sought even after his retirement.

While he had the appearance of health, he was far therefrom, in that in his early manhood he suffered a lung ailment that greatly weakened him so that he fatigued easily, thus necessitating much rest, a fact that provoked the thoughtless to consider him indolent, and which in all probability was the contributing factor that caused him to confine himself to office practice, rather than the work of the Court.

Charles Edmund Gilmore was one of God’s Noble Gentlemen, in that he was always kindly disposed and quick to help those in need of his services, regardless of his personal welfare or monetary regard.

He had an abiding faith in the Almighty, and his fellow man, and was truly “the friend of man”.

He was a brilliant conversationalist, and he was the possessor of an almost ingratiating and entertaining manner, and a conversation with him, be it of professional or other matters, was one to be long remembered.

In his early manhood, he possessed a fine bass voice and was a member of the St. Paul’s Lutheran Church, which was the church of his fathers, as well as a member of that celebrated and never-to-be-forgotten “Orpheus Club” which was then under the able directorship of the late, Prof. Roscoe Huff, an organization then known far and wide for its excellence.

He was married in 1917 to Jeanne Kelenbach of Williamsport, who had predeceased him.

He is survived by a daughter, Jeanne (Kelenbach) Tallman and a sister, Anna Gilmore, both of this City, and two (2) grandchildren.

He died Thursday Evening, September 6th, 1962, at the Williamsport Hospital, supposedly of a heart attack.

All of which is respectfully submitted,

COMMITTEE:
George F. Sands
M J. Maggio
John C. Youngman
James F. Cendoma
M. Edward Toner