Memorials

IN MEMORY OF THE HONORABLE CHARLES SCOTT WILLIAMS

Common Pleas, Lycoming County, No. 784 May Term, 1966

In The Matter Of The Death Of The Honorable Charles Scott Williams,

A Member Of The Bar Of Lycoming County, Pennsylvania

REPORT OF COMMITTEE OF LYCOMING LAW ASSOCIATION

CHARLES SCOTT WILLIAMSPursuant to the Order of this Court the appointed committee has met and prepared resolutions, herein set forth and respect fully submitted:

Charles Scott Williams was admitted to the Bar and the several courts in Lycoming County on the fifth day of May, 1930, upon the motion of Herbert T. Ames, Esquire.

Charles Scott Williams served the United States for the Middle District as United States Commissioner from 1932 to 1936. He was elected District Attorney of the County of Lycoming for the years 1936 to 1944.  In 1943 he was elected judge of the several courts of Lycoming County, in which he served until the first Monday of January, 1964. Thereafter Judge Williams resumed his practice of law, His very sudden and untimely death on Saturday, June 25, 1966, has profoundly shocked the minds of all of us that it is with great difficulty we express our sorrow. Measured in years, his life was comparatively short, yet it was so worthwhile that we must wish to preserve something of what we know, think and feel about him in this hour.

He was born in the Borough of Picture Rocks in this County on November 24, 1904, the son of The Reverend and Mrs. Alvin S. Williams. He was named and baptized Charles Scott Williams.

Since Mr. Williams was the son of a Methodist minister he was moved about in the area comprehended by the Central Pennsylvania Conference of the Methodist Church. After two years in Williamsport High School he was graduated from Roaring Springs High School in 1922. He was graduated from Dickinson College in 1926 and from Dickinson School of Law in 1929.

He began his practice of law in Altoona but in 1930 joined the firm of Ames & Hammond in this city. After the retirement of Mr. Hammond he became a partner of Herbert T. Ames, Esquire, and the firm was known as Ames & Williams. After Mr. Ames' death in 1936, Arthur McKean became his associate. Mr. McKean, one of the finest young men to come to this Bar, was killed in World War II.

On June 25, 1940, he was united in marriage with Helen Edler, a Williamsport girl. As a result of this marriage there was born one son, Scott Alvin Williams, who is presently taking the cram course, prior to taking the Bar Examinations in July, preparatory to becoming a member of this Bar.

His outstanding ability as a lawyer, as a District Attorney and as a Judge was recognized alike by the Bench, the Bar and the public. The evenness of his temper, his unfailing courtesy, his consideration for others, his inherent honesty and integrity at all times characterized his conduct in the court room, in chambers, and in his association with his clients, his friends and his employees.

Judge Williams was a kind and loving husband and a fine father. Scott Alvin Williams, whom you will all soon know, clearly shows the kind of home in which he was reared by loving parents and a sometimes indulgent father.

Your committee desires to outline briefly other aspects of Judge Williams’ career which merit recording.

Judge Williams had been a member of the executive committees of the Salvation Army, Divine Providence Hospital, Lycoming County Chapter of the American Red Cross and West Branch Council of Boy Scouts of America, which he also served as president.

He was a member of the Newberry Methodist Church, a church his father once served as pastor, and had been a trustee of that church since 1932. He had been treasurer on the Methodist Preachers Aid Society since 1936 and trustee of the Central Pennsylvania Conference of the Methodist Church since 1940.

He was a past master of Lodge No. 106, F. and A.M.; a member of Williamsport Scottish Rite Consistory and of Baldwin II Commandery No. 22, Knights Templar; a past sovereign of Williamsport Conclave No. 20, Red Cross of Constantine; a past grand of Iona Lodge, Independent Order of Odd Fellows; a past president of the Tiadaghton Chapter, Sons of the American Revolution; a member of the Ross Club; the Wheel club, Lycova Grange, Lycoming County Consolidated Sportsmen and the Pennsylvania Society of New York.

He had been a director of the former Bank of Newberry and served as its solicitor until his election as Judge. At the time of his death he was a director of the First National Bank of Ralston.

Judge Williams' avocation was Lycoming College. He had been a director of that College for 24 years; he was chairman of its executive committee and he was instrumental in qualifying this fine school as a four year college.

He was the first chairman of the Advisory Committee of Divine Providence Hospital.

He was a deer hunter and held membership in Bobst Mountain Hunting Club.

He was a past president of Williamsport Exchange Club and of the Lycoming Historical Society.

He was devoted to history, especially local history and published a history of Lycoming College and Newberry Methodist Church.

He was a member of Lycoming Law Association, Pennsylvania Bar Association and the American Bar Association.

We therefore offer the following resolution for adoption as a minute of this Court:

BE IT RESOLVED that on the death of the Honorable Charles Scott Williams the Bar of Lycoming County has lost an able lawyer, the community a valuable citizen, the church a devoted Christian and his family a loving member.

AND BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that these resolutions be spread at length upon the minutes of this Court, and that a copy thereof be sent to Mrs. Williams and Scott Alvin Williams.

John C. Youngman Sr.
O. William Vanderlin
Clyde E. Carpenter
S. Dale Furst, Jr.
Clyde F. Williamson, Chairman