The mission of the Lycoming Law Association is to promote the practice of law using the highest ethical standards and to advance the public image of our profession. We accomplish this by communicating within our profession and throughout our community, providing continuing legal education, encouraging collegiality among attorneys and the court, providing pro bono legal assistance, and through community involvement.
On December 1, 1869, a group of prominent Lycoming County attorneys, recognizing the need to maintain a "well-selected law library convenient and accessible to all the members", and to promote among the members "kind and social relations, professional courtesy and urbanity," and to assist its members "in acquiring legal knowledge and correct practice," petitioned the county court to incorporate the Lycoming Law Association. The petition was granted on January 25, 1870, by Judge Gamble. The first president of the Association was Robert Fleming.
In 1951, the Charter was amended to allow the Association to publish "a legal journal," and the publication of the Lycoming Reporter, the official legal periodical of Lycoming County, became an important function of the Association. In 2004 the membership, in recognition of the increasing complexity of the organization's management, approved the employment of an Executive Director. Currently, the Lycoming Law Association serves over 200 lawyers.